Military Branch: United States Army
Build Completion: December 2021
Sergeant Stephanie Vazquez, born in Charlottesville VA, was raised by her parents along with her four brothers in Williamstown West Virginia.
She moved to Oceanside, CA in October of 2005 when she enlisted in the Army. A single mother, Stephanie joined the service hoping to be able to provide and support her small family but quickly became extremely dedicated to the military and showed great promise.
Seven years into her service she was handpicked by the Commander and Sergeant Major of the Battalion to be the NCOIC of the BN FET (Female engagement team). She deployed overseas to attend the first Female engagement team school in Baghram Afghanistan where her life would be forever changed.
Three weeks before her team would be returning to the US she was on a routine patrol when the unit started taking small arms fire, RPG’s, and motor rounds. It was during this fire fight that Stephanie sustained the critical injuries that she is still dealing with to this day. Although she was severely injured Stephanie made the decision to stay in Afghanistan in order to train the unit coming in to replace them.
Once back state side she started down her long road to recovery. She underwent 18 surgeries on her lower left leg as well as three spinal cord surgeries. Unfortunately, the surgeries to salvage her leg were unsuccessful and the decision was made to amputate the limb.
Stephanie is determined to not let her injuries define her and will “never let the enemy win”
Since the loss of her leg, she has relearned how to participate in her favorite extra-curricular activities such as hiking, walking, horseback riding, snowboarding and her new love playing sled hockey with the Nashville Predator Sled Hockey Team.
Stephanie and her daughter lived in Tennessee, in a home where as an amputee, stairs were dangerous obstacles, showering was a perilous task, and the absence of other accessible features made everyday life more challenging.
To help make her feel safe and more independent at home, Jared Allen’s Homes for Wounded Warriors purchased land in Portland, TN and built a mortgage-free, 100% accessible and custom home for Stephanie and her daughter.
On December 20th, 2021, Stephanie received the keys to her new home. She is grateful for the added security and independence it brings for her. It’s a feeling of safety and ease that many wounded veterans don’t experience when living in a home that’s not accessible to their needs.
MESSAGES FROM SUPPORTERS
- Frank Ippolition June 8, 2022, 5:25 pmHappy Birthday. Thank you for your service
- Richard Colemanon March 25, 2022, 7:09 pmThank you for your service with a willingness to face uncertain dangers in service to our nation and the women in Afghanistan. As a retired BN CSM, having service members like you in a unit is what makes our military forces the best in the world. It warms my heart that you have received this home; it is absolutely deserved!
- Melissaon March 25, 2022, 5:44 pmIt is hero's like you that enable this country to stay free. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. May God Bless you and your family as you continue your journey to full recovery.
- Anthony Ledbetteron March 22, 2022, 9:27 amService ,Sacrifice , Pride ,Strength, Will Power , Open ,Honesty , Courage all great attributes for anyone . Proud to have been of service to someone for an afternoon who has given so much to the oppressed people of the world . DE OPPRESSO LIBER . Thank You Stephanie
- Christinaon February 16, 2022, 10:30 pmThank you Stephanie! My heart was warmed hearing about your new home. I wish you and your family well.
- Will Wagoneron January 11, 2022, 6:17 amStephanie, Your very blessed and honored to have a new and forever home! I am so very happy for you. You are truly an amazing person and a wonderful friend! Jared Allen is truly an amazing person and organization. You are loved by so many!
- Jason Kauffmanon December 24, 2021, 4:16 amThank you for your Service , and your Sacrifice. It was a pleasure working on your home Jason Kauffman/ A-team Electric
- Care Pastor Alan Fykeon December 20, 2021, 5:30 pmThank you Stephanie for serving and for your sacrifice. Enjoy your new home. May God bless you.
- Daveon October 30, 2021, 5:47 pmHi Stephanie, Thank you for your service and sacrifice. You are an inspiration to many people and I hope you know that.
- Claraon October 30, 2021, 3:09 pmThank you dear Stephanie You’re a heroine in the eyes of your country. And especially in the eyes and heart of all little girls and women. I thank our Creator for you and that he would bring you home to your family. May blessings abound over you and and everything that is in your heart ? Thank you for your service Clara
- Daleon July 22, 2021, 3:42 pmNever forget, you are awesome and an inspiration to others!
- Tom O’Brienon July 22, 2021, 12:41 amThank you for sacrifice and service. You make me proud to an American.
- Jason Loganon June 10, 2021, 4:48 pmLove you Steph!
- Wendy Hookon March 9, 2021, 1:03 amThank you so much for serving
- Rita Baumannon March 8, 2021, 11:11 pmThank you for your sacrifice and service. I served 18 years army and was injured. One tough female vet to another-Thank you, thank you,thank you!
- Veggieon March 3, 2021, 6:29 amI love you Bird ... thank you for everything! You will always hold a special place in my heart and soul! ❤️
- WILLIAM WAGONERon December 4, 2020, 12:44 amStephanie you are so deserving of this honor and blessing. I am so happy for you. This is such a wonderful organization!
- Carol Hayes Reinderson November 18, 2020, 12:30 amThank you for your service! I’m so honored to have met you! Hopefully we will see each other again after all this COVID stuff is under control!
- Arizonanon November 15, 2020, 8:04 pmAmerica is proud of you and your dedication, service and ability to keep persevering. Love your positivity. Best wishes
- Morganon November 12, 2020, 4:39 amTHANK YOU!!! Thankful for your service.
- Kelly Gradyon November 11, 2020, 11:08 pmStephanie, since it's Veterans Day I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your service. Your courage to join the Army, your strength as a soldier and perseverance following your injury is such an incredible inspiration to me. I salute you. All the best to you and your family.
- Chrison October 16, 2020, 2:12 amSteph, You are an amazing women and true warrior! Thank you for your service! It’s been a gift to know you! Chris
- Jeannaon September 13, 2020, 2:22 amThank you for your service. 9/11 gives us pause to think about what everyone has sacrificed for the US and our safety. It is so easy to take it for granted when you are not faced with it. I hope you get the home that you deserve. A BIG Thank you to your and your service team!
- Todd Smithon August 2, 2020, 9:21 amThank you for your service. Your sacrifice is greatly appreciated and can never be repaid. You are an inspiration.
Your comment is awaiting moderation from the website administrator.
Any amount will help make a house, a home.
Sergeant Stephanie Vazquez Key Ceremony