Military Branch: United States Army
Build Completion: January 22, 2021
Army Ranger Staff Sergeant Travis Dunn was presented with the Bronze Star Medal for Valor and the Purple Heart after being wounded in combat on December 2, 2014 in Afghanistan. On that day, SSG Dunn and a group of Rangers with Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, and Afghan special operations soldiers were on a joint operation in Nangarhar Province when they came under attack. The group sustained six hours of direct fire engagement. Despite the assault, the unit cleared multiple insurgent-held compounds and killed more than 25 enemy fighters in addition to rescuing a wounded Ranger.
SSG Dunn showed great bravery in the exchange, closing with an armed enemy in a close ambush, as well as on three barricaded shooters. During the assault, SSG Dunn was shot in the upper torso and fell from an embankment, resulting in paraplegia.
On Friday, January 22, 2021 Army Ranger Lead The Way, Jared Allen’s Homes for Wounded Warriors and its national and local partners presented SSG Dunn and his family the keys to a brand new, mortgage-free, injury-specific accessible home in honor of his service and sacrifice.
To ease Dunn’s daily challenges, the home is designed to be fully compliant with the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA) with features that include: an open floor plan, wider hallways and doorways to accommodate wheelchair, scooter and prosthetic use; roll under countertops and sinks; and arguably most importantly, bathroom accessibility amenities that include barrier-free showers with roll-in access, grab bars, seating and a height adjustable shower head.
“It’s the simple things like bringing in groceries, cooking a meal or taking a shower that will have the most impact on my day-to-day life in our new home. So, it’s hard to imagine all of the ways a home specifically designed to accommodate my injuries will allow me and my family to live a more comfortable life.” said SSG Dunn. “I am incredibly grateful to everyone who helped give my family the American dream.”
MESSAGES FROM SUPPORTERS
- Grant Davison March 3, 2021, 1:34 amTravis & Kelly, You are amazing! Thank you for your service.
- Stephen Klassenon March 2, 2021, 9:55 pmSo honored to be able to help out with your new home! Wishing you and your family many years of happiness there! Blessings to you!
- Eric Belcheron March 2, 2021, 9:09 pmThank you so much for your sacrifice and service for us. Your home is beautiful and I LOVE that you selected the black windows/doors! They really look amazing! Wishing many years of life and love in your new home. So grateful to have helped with this part of your journey.
- Sean Walkeron March 2, 2021, 8:44 pmCongratulation Travis and your beautiful family. Thank you for your selfless service to our country.
- Kelly Gradyon December 4, 2020, 9:51 pmI just read your story and I am unbelievably moved by your courage under fire. I can't even begin to imagine being in those circumstances or what I might do. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.
- Amanda Rahtzon December 4, 2020, 7:02 pmTravis and Kelly, we are so excited that your home is almost complete! Can not wait for key ceremony day!
- Renee Andersonon November 12, 2020, 2:34 amTravis and family, Our family is so happy that you are receiving this well deserved house to raise your family in. May God continue to hold you all in His protective hand. So proud of you! RLTW!
- Matt Swansonon November 12, 2020, 1:22 amTravis, on behalf of the Officers, Members and Staff of Carpenters Local Union 1905 Central Fl. THANK YOU for your service to our country! God Bless you and your Family!!
- Jennifer Swansonon November 12, 2020, 12:43 amThank you so much Travis for your Service and Sacrifice for our freedom! Thank you to you and your family and can’t wait to see you again at your ribbon cutting ceremony for your new home ❤️
- Kellie Mixonon November 11, 2020, 8:55 pmThank you for your service, Travis. You are an amazing person!!
Your comment is awaiting moderation from the website administrator.
Any amount will help make a house, a home.