Military Branch: United States Army
Alive Date: December 2, 2014
Build Completion: Current Build
Army Ranger Staff Sergeant Travis Dunn was presented with the Bronze Star Medal for Valor and the Purple Heart after being wounded in combat on December 2, 2014 in Afghanistan. On that day, SSG Dunn and a group of Rangers with Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, and Afghan special operations soldiers were on a joint operation in Nangarhar Province when they came under attack. The group sustained six hours of direct fire engagement. Despite the assault, the unit cleared multiple insurgent-held compounds and killed more than 25 enemy fighters in addition to rescuing a wounded Ranger.
SSG Dunn showed great bravery in the exchange, closing with an armed enemy in a close ambush, as well as on three barricaded shooters. During the assault, SSG Dunn was shot in the upper torso and fell from an embankment, resulting in paraplegia. Despite being paralyzed from the waist down, he remains positive.
SSG Dunn and his wife look forward to starting a family together in Florida, and Jared Allen’s Homes for Wounded Warriors is proud to team up with the Army Ranger Lead the Way Fund and the United Brotherhood of Carpenters to provide the Dunns with a 100-percent handicap accessible home, built specifically for SSG Dunn’s needs.
MESSAGES FROM SUPPORTERS
- Kelly Gradyon December 4, 2020, 9:51 pmI just read your story and I am unbelievably moved by your courage under fire. I can't even begin to imagine being in those circumstances or what I might do. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.
- Amanda Rahtzon December 4, 2020, 7:02 pmTravis and Kelly, we are so excited that your home is almost complete! Can not wait for key ceremony day!
- Renee Andersonon November 12, 2020, 2:34 amTravis and family, Our family is so happy that you are receiving this well deserved house to raise your family in. May God continue to hold you all in His protective hand. So proud of you! RLTW!
- Matt Swansonon November 12, 2020, 1:22 amTravis, on behalf of the Officers, Members and Staff of Carpenters Local Union 1905 Central Fl. THANK YOU for your service to our country! God Bless you and your Family!!
- Jennifer Swansonon November 12, 2020, 12:43 amThank you so much Travis for your Service and Sacrifice for our freedom! Thank you to you and your family and can’t wait to see you again at your ribbon cutting ceremony for your new home ❤️
- Kellie Mixonon November 11, 2020, 8:55 pmThank you for your service, Travis. You are an amazing person!!
Your comment is awaiting moderation from the website administrator.
Any amount will help make a house, a home.